Is this an expensive joke...
Oga Minister, don't toy with Nigerians like this, the days of professor Pella are long gone! If there is one measure to which President Goodluck Jonathan will be clearly judged come 2015 will be the issue of improvements in the power sector.
If the administration is not going to deliver on such promises, it should refrain from making such pronouncements. In addition such announcements mean NOTHING if the people do not certify the obvious and claimed gains in the power situation in their lives. So the claims being noted in this report require some forms of verification. That said, this is usually nothing to celebrate about, but in Nigeria, sadly, it is!
FG to Raise Power Output to 9,000MWMinister of Power, Bart Nnaji
By Chuks Okocha and Onyebuchi Ezigbo
A statement from the Office of the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, which detailed the achievements of President Goodluck Jonathan since his inauguration in May 2011, said government would attain the new output when it completed the 10 projects under the National Integrated Power Plants (NIPP).
It said on assumption of office, Jonathan inherited 10 abandoned projects under the NIPP and had since then revitalised the projects.
The projects, which on completion, will add additional 4960mw to the national grid are: Ihovbor in Edo State (451mw), Omotosho in Ondo State (451mw), Olorunsogo in Ogun State (750mw), Sapele in Delta State (451mw), Geregu in Kogi State (434mw), Egbema in Imo State (338mw), Gbarain in Bayelsa (225mw), Omoku in Rivers State (225mw), Calabar in Cross River State (561mw) and Alaoji in Abia State (1074mw).
“Government has improved power generation from under 3,000mw in 2011 to 4,300mw by August 2012. Therefore, when the 10 NIPP projects are fully on stream, which will be within the next few months, the total national generation capacity will not be less than 9000mw, a 200 per cent increase in generating capacity as compared with the figures for 2011 and the highest ever by any administration since independence,” the Federal Government said in the statement signed by the Media Director in the office, Mr. Olusanya Awosan.
The Federal Government Sunday raised hopes of improvement in power supply as it announced plans to raise electricity output from the current 4,300 megawatts (mw) to a record 9,000mw in “the next few months”.
The statement was in response to the criticism by former Federal Capital Territory Minister and chieftain of Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, who accused the presidency of “seeking to outsource governance”.
“This administration met 10 abandoned NIPP projects and has successfully revitalised all. More importantly, they are all within the range of 95-100 per cent completion stage and are awaiting gas supply, which government has taken very concrete steps to address.